Wednesday 25 March 2009

Pelargonium

My love of writing began young. I remember as a devising my own magazine called Pelargonium when I was about 12 (I was an odd child!). I set myself up as editor and encouraged my sister and other kids in the street to send me in their contributions. Naturally they were far more interested in playing with their Barbies or charging about on bikes to sit around writing columns on the topic, so I wrote the whole thing myself. I seem to recall it had an ongoing piece of fiction about a girls' boarding school, illustrations, competitions, word searches and general life observations. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get into writing professionally, perhaps it was a lack of confidence. Why didn't I join the magazine at Uni or better still, set one up myself? Still, it happened eventually and once I had drifted into internal communication and all the tools that involves (creative writing, naturally included) I knew I had found my niche.

I have just started reading Gary Barlow's autobiography and what's interesting is understanding how he became famous. It wasn't about turning up for an audition one day and being on Top of the Pops the next. Since his early teens he worked his guts out becoming a musician and a performer - the magical mixture of hard work, determination and raw talent is what took him to where he is today. Good things come to those who wait (and while they are waiting they do their prep!).

Inspired to paint again this evening as I wanted to illustrate this posting with a piece of my own work and painting a pelargonium seemed a sensible choice. Naturally, because I wanted to use it for something it didn't quite turn out as good as hoped, but I shall keep practising - can't expect to put my brushes away (or lose them!) for about 10 years then suddenly expect to be Leonardo da Vinci... (or I may turn into a Mona Lisa - sorry, couldn't resist a bad joke at this late hour!)

1 comment:

  1. You wrote six editions of Pelagonlum and I still have them! That's how good they were, I couldn't bear to throw them away. Will show you next time you are over.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...