Thursday 1 July 2010

Branching out


I'm nearly at the end of the Kelly Rae Creative Business course - Flying Lessons. I have enjoyed the course though haven't been able to spend nearly as much time on it as I would have liked. Still, I can catch up on the material later. Biggest achievement has been to become a Tweeter or Twitterer or whatever chirpy name we like to give ourselves! I've also begun my Facebook Fan page. Well, I made a blank page... that's a start anyway!

I'm also really beginning to believe that I could so something here. With my sensible hat on it feels very much like a small something - an income supplement rather than a pot of gold but you know what, that is my goal for now. I have a 'proper' job I enjoy too where I get to write, write, write. Why not turn this artistic hobby into something that pays for itself and allows me a few treats along the way too?

I was trying to sleep the other night and thinking about this course. It feels like all Kelly's students (several hundred of us) are seeds ripening on a large tree. As the course finishes and the wind of change blows many of us are heeding her lessons and beginning our tentative flight out into the world. As is nature's way, some of us will fall by the wayside, distracted by other events and challenges, or remain stuck to the branches afraid to let go. Some saplings will begin to grow and reach out tentative shoots. One or two will become mighty trees with many branches. We all have the potential to be what we want to be. Sometimes the wind does need to be blowing in the right direction and lady luck be there to guide us to fertile ground, but we all have ambition and determination. We need to feed ourselves with the right dose and we'll make it.

So fellow flyers as we leave our teacher. Good luck out there! Let's all believe in ourselves, set those goals, take the rough with the smooth and take a firm hold of opportunity!

Image from Matt Hunt on Flickr. Look at how the seed carries a picture of its future self - Nature's own artistic impression. Deep inside we do too. I wonder what I look like?

2 comments:

  1. A great metaphor for graduating students - now go out there and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there's going to be something exciting and new happening ... wonderful and can't wait to see it.

    We're very lucky to have you in blogland and to share our creative journey! You're a gem! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...