Friday 26 August 2011

What? Eh?

Blog posts have been a bit lean in these 'ere parts this week, I haven't even hopped around my usual online haunts much either. One of those weeks where I spent so much time glued to the PC screen in the day job that  in the evenings I became allergic to computer screens and my time was better spent lying on the sofa watching TV.

So, little artistic output to report on either. Last night I was all set to create something amazing for Paint Party Friday, but inspiration failed to arrive until I came up with this piece above.

The question I pose to you today though is:

a) Was this piece the result of carefully considered study of red poppies viewed against an azure skyline while lying on my back in the garden...? Or...
b) Childish play splatting paint between the pages of my sketchbook and strategically squirting with water... Or...
c) One of those ink blot tests that require you to tell your therapist what you see and trying not to answer with the words of a lunatic?
d) None of the above?

Answers scribbled on a banana skin and tied to the foot of a homing monkey...

The good news is - IT'S FRIDAY!! And it's a BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND! (It's also raining, but we'll gloss over that part).

If you are from foreign fields and find the term 'bank holiday' bemusing, allow me to explain...

Periodically throughout the year the Bank of England pays for all citizens to go on holiday. Special coaches and trains transport the population to the Seaside where they are met by representatives from this great financial instituion and given free fish n chips served wrapped in old £50 notes and bags of shiny pennies to play in the slot machines on the pier.

If you're very lucky, you might find yourself at the same resort as the Chief Cashier whose signature appears on all bank notes. You can watch him signing piles of cash - he may even let you have a go!

There's always plenty of entertainment - the ever-popular 'Guess the number of gold bars in the vault' and 'The best note forgery competition' to name but two...

A great tradition!

PS: Yes, I am in a VERY strange mood today!

28 comments:

  1. heheheheh I like your strange mood! I remember Bank Holiday Mondays when I lived in Wales!!! Good times! I really like this piece I think it looks very fun and relaxed so i think it was (b)! :0) Really like the colours!!! Enjoy your bank holiday weekend!!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We don't have bank holidays here but they sound too good to be true. It isn't true is it Lisa? You had me going for awhile though! LOL. Enjoy your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bank holidays like that would be fantastic! I guess we all dream, even you, huh? Anyway I love the art this week. It matters not how it was created, it is gorgeous and that is all that need be said! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I like your painting ~ reminds me of an eye ~ Enjoy the weekend and holiday ~
    namaste, Carol Happy PPF (Share the Creative Journey)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I''m going with the poppies...although is there an all of the above answer! Either or all ways I vote that it's AWESOME! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't talk about this bank holiday tradition in public. Now everyone will want to go to England on Monday to get those free fish and chips with the £50 wraped around. :) I'll go with the ink blobs. :) I see a poppy. Does that make me a serial killer of poppies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! Love the idea of that bank holiday! I can see a poppy or is that the lunatic answer to the inkblot question? hmmm

    I think it is a gorgeous abstract! Stunning colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, it's a dramatic piece is all I can say! Love your thoughts behind this piece, lol.

    We have a long weekend next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter what the "meaning" of the piece might be, it's still absolutely beautiful! The reds and blues are such a great contrast to one another, stunning work!

    // - T.W -

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so dramatic...whatever the interpretation, I like it a lot.

    Enjoy your bank holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the flow and color here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! This post had me in stitches... Love it :)
    If only I could find that monkey - I'd love to learn the answer! hee hee

    Enjoy your holiday (somehow I know you will)!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. you little tinker!,,, and don't keep us in suspense for too long about the inspiration for this vibrant image :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see a poppy, but you know me and flowers......I suspect it is "B" tho :)
    Whatever the answer, I LOVE it- those colors and lines are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your so silly ... love your art
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm voting for B cause it's my favorite!!! Either way it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You crack me up, a homing monkey?!!!Thanks for informing us about bank holiday! I always wondered! Sounds fun! Your painting is beautiful, such vibrant colors!!!Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I say "all of the above"? :D tee hee Knowing you, it could have easily been that. LOL Hugs to you and always thinking of you, even amidst all that is going on here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How ever you did it the results are great, I really like it. How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not sure which is the right answer...but you had me laughing! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting post!!Love a bank holiday!! I think your painting is C inspired, because my first thought was splotch monsters blog.... either way it's beautiful piece, like all your art!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol.... which ever homing monkey knocks on your door... I love the painting... and nothing wrong with slobbing infront of the tv from time to time.. happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  23. Strange moods make for enjoyable, albeit sporadic posts.....I like the playful splatters and blowing (yes, I'll take B please)....it does look like a flower study!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific post LOL, have no idea what the answer is but am loving the colours, form and flow of the paints. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I love this! Beautiful composition, fantastic colours. It all works wonderfully.

    And strange moods can make the greatest art :D

    All the best,
    Liz
    (who has been missing for a few months, but is hopefully returning bit by bit)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I wish that wonderful story of the bank holiday was true!! I'd forgo the fish but definitely take the £50 it was wrapped in!! You do make me laugh and whatever the answer to the story behind your painting, I don't care - I love it anyway! (although number 1 sounds so lovely I would like it to be true!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The colors in your piece are vibrant. Not sure how you got there but doesn't matter...it's still art! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah Lisa, you silly girl... I'd say somewhere between a. and b. I've been so busy and exhausted I can't even remember the last time I turned my computer on! It seems like allot of blog buddies are slowing down right now too. Hopefully things will settle down near the end of this week and I'll be able to get some art and some posting done!
    Jessi xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...