Sunday 8 July 2012

Ten minutes


I so wish I had scanned in what this page in my sketchbook looked like ten minutes ago - before I leapt upon it and created Lola.

I will have to resort to a description from memory. It was a textured background dripped with alcohol inks. Pinks with a hint of peach and a simple charcoal outline of a face - hairless and wearing what looked like a swimming cap.

Ten minutes later and Lola was looking at me. She's tapping her shoe to a  flamenco rhythm. She wants to dance, buy first she's going to finish this glass of Sangria and attract the attention of Raoul...

I love to do quick sketches, to watch a face appear and smirk at me ready to tell their tale. I had quite a painty evening - you know it's been good when you discover green and purple stains up your arms and in your fingernails. I'm such a messy girl!

Today is pretty special if you're a Brit and hold even the slightest regard for sport. For the first time in 74 years a Brit will compete in the men's final at Wimbledon. No pressure Andy...

25 comments:

  1. oh she is gorgeous - her layers are full of beautiful color.
    enjoy the match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! I love this, the colors, the story...she's awesome! I hope Andy wins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola is beautiful ~ jazzy lady ~ love the scarf around her head ~~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I can just see her dancing away with Raoul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her, wish I felt like that....Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece...love the colors and the emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my husband got up early to watch Wimbledon, although he's a Federer fan!

    Love your girl, vivid features.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I love Lola! And her story is great! I try hard to take pictures of stuff in progress, but sometimes the muse just runs away with things... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I always do that too, always in a hurry and not taking any pictures of the process. How are you coping with the rain :(
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's lovely. I also like working fast and just seeing what happens.
    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful..she looks deeply soulful and full of stories and treasures kept hidden in the heart. Wonderful!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it's extraordinary that the painting was completed in 10 minutes! Really vibrant colours and feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10 minutes.... wow.... fabulous gypsy flamenco spirit, I agree! as Garcia Lorca would say, she has 'duende'

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) I was rooting for Andy Murray. She is stunning. I am glad I am not the only messy painter when I look at my nails and wonder why I bothered to put nail polish on!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful to see your colorful piece and to imagine it unfolding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ps i had a giggle over naming my fairy Wanda, thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful piece, Lisa. I love the colours and mix in this one. It's beautiful. Thank you for continuing to inspire us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. she is so lovely. Great colours, it's just bursting. Thought it was funny you named her Lola because I knew a gal with that name when I was in my late teens or early 20's and this is totally her to a "t"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sangria and a bloke named Raoul sounds pretty good... though even better would be sangria and Javier Bardem... he makes me feel all funny inside which is probably a bit of an over share but any way... lola looks cool...xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your colors are delicious! I love the texture you get in your art. What a charming character you have brought to life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I love finding paint in spots I rarely look :)
    Lola is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...